Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Healthy Recipes: A New Twist on Your Oatmeal

Personally, I prefer eating oatmeal over any other breakfast food. I have it almost every day to start. I choose it because there are so many ways to top it, and it is the only breakfast that seems to hold me over until lunch. 

Most of the time, I make plain oats with water (always on the stovetop-otherwise the texture isn't the way I like it), and I top it with peanut butter and jelly or mix it with protein powder topped with fruit, cacao nibs, or a few dark chocolate chips. As you can tell, they are sweet rather than savory.

I decided to try out a savory oatmeal recipe using my favorite protein and fat: eggs and avocado. I can't get enough of the two!



All you do while your oats cook is make a sunny-side up egg. Then, you top your cooked oats with it and add avocado. The seasonings I chose were garlic salt, red pepper flakes, pepper, and Italian seasoning. It was an amazing combination. I hope you like it as much as I did! 

One variation could be scrambled eggs with cheese, if you aren't a fan of a runny yolk or avocado. I bet sautéed veggies would be amazing as well!

Who uses oats in a savory way to start the day? Comment below with your ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment