Saturday, August 29, 2015

Health and Safety: Should cell phones be banned entirely while driving? / How to recover (physically) to get into activity again


Yes, I have been busy with graduate school, moving out, and work, and my posts have been limited this month because of it.  As of September, expect me to ramp it up; I promise.  One of the reasons that I have written less is something I will explain in this post.

First Portion of this Post: 

Up until a few days ago, I thought that I have taken a safe approach to driving.  We have it ingrained in us to never text and drive, whether you saw that nerve-wrecking AT&T commercial, a TV show where a character was killed because of texting and driving (Glee, anyone?), or signs on the road that serve as a reminder over and over again.

Personally, I thought because I do not use my cell phone to text while driving, I labeled myself as a safe driver.  I think the focus should be shifted to awareness on cell phone use as a whole being banned or at least that the idea that people should be more aware of how distracting phones are when being used in the vehicle for any purpose.  I'm talking hands-free talking and, in my case, GPS.  Let me explain.

(Before I begin, please keep an open mind and understand that I have been struggling with what happened a little bit.  It is a little difficult to talk about, but I think it is important enough to bring up and share.  I was ignorant previously about safety, and I am taking an active approach to never let this situation happen again now that I am aware and informed.  I feel guilty about the situation, even though I am constantly remind myself as well as being reminded by EVERYONE around me, lol, that it was a car accident, emphasis on the meaning of the word accident. I'm getting over some shame, anxiety, guilt, anger-at myself, and some other emotions, so understand I am a little embarassed to share this with you all, too.  It is an important issue I want to spread awareness about, though.)  

Here we go:
I have been going to a new school, and driving there has been an adjustment because I am not used to the route and need directions.  I know by now how to get to my new college from my house, but I was leaving a doctor's appointment a few days ago (on the day of my accident).  I put my GPS on my phone before I began to drive in order to help me with the route from my doctor's office to my new school.  I made sure the phone was loud enough so I may hear the voice tell me when to turn, etc.

Long story short, I did not stop in time when I realized the cars ahead of me were stopped, and I slammed on the brakes.  I got into a 3 car collision, and, instead of going to my first graduate class, I totaled my family's car and spent the night in the ER hysterical for the others that were involved.  I couldn't bear the idea that this accident happened, although I know now and am still trying to make myself realize it was only an accident.  Everyone was okay, and I, thankfully, was the one that got the worst of the collision (just banged up and discharged that night), but it was definitely a lesson learned that I want to bring this to everyone's attention because of my ignorance about the risks of hands-free use of phones in the car.

I am not sure why this happened, but I can guarantee that the risks of me getting into an accident would have been reduced if I had memorized and written down the directions ahead of time (and pulled over to look at them whenever I forgot my way) rather than using a GPS and listening to it.

There are some arguments on why hands-free devices are okay, but I read a recent study that although your hands are free and you think your focus is on the road, your attention and your mind are not on the task your ultimately trying to perform (driving).  For instance, when some argue that talking to someone hands-free is the same as having a passenger, when that is not the case.  The study showed that having a passenger is different because the passenger is also paying attention to the road and sees when obstacles are happening during driving rather versus conversing with someone who is doing something else entirely on the other line (i.e. watching television, cooking, etc).

If you are interested, click here to read up on some arguments on cells on the road. They list both pros, cons, and why. It is just an interesting read.

My point is not to say that cell phones should be banned, or that hands-free should be banned.  Honestly, I am not sure where I stand.  All I know is that it is definitely a personal stance/promise that I am making to take every precaution now that I have experienced this and am aware.

My purpose today is to spread awareness about the risks of hands-free use.  I was ignorant a few days ago of the distractions this could possibly cause.  Now, I know this, and I will never put myself in the situation where a cellular phone is a contributor to a possible accident.  I will make a bigger effort to make sure I know where I am going ahead of time, for example, like I listed earlier with written and memorized directions.  If I am lost, I will pull over and look them up or something to that nature.

I am still shakey as I get back into driving, and I am still sore, but I am incredibly lucky.  It was a terrifying experience, but it is a lesson learned.  I hope that this post will help you all be more aware of this issue.  I understand if you judge me for what happened, but I can tell you right now (although I know and am reminding myself it was only an accident) I am still judging myself for it.  This does not do anyone, including myself, any good.  I now have learned from it, and I will push forward as a safer person on the road.


Second Portion of this Post:
Here are a few tips of how to recover from something, like an accident or becoming injured from a life event, when you lead an active lifestyle.  I am not a physician, so please note this, so these are just personal tips and guidelines that I gave myself as I have recovered from this.
  1. Listen to your doctor.  What they say, goes.  Although you want to get back on the horse, nothing is more important than recovering and getting yourself back to health.  It does not make sense to ignore your doctor and try to push yourself through an injury, even if it seems you are not hurting or can push through it.  If your body went through a trauma, you have no clue what has done to your mentally or internally.  If you were prescribed something for the pain, take it, and feel good enough to exercise again, your judgement may be clouded.  Your body may not be ready, yet.  Your doctor, on the other hand, does.  If you want to become active once more and have no clue when they recommend when to start up again, ask them upfront.
  2. Take some recovery time.  Relax.  Focus on yourself mentally.  
  3. Listen to your body.  Let's say you have taken the time off, you are not taking any prescriptions for the pain, you feel ready to start exercising. If you start to exercise and something does not feel right or starts to hurt, STOP. 
  4. Think about the best way to jump back into things.  Plan your routine ahead of time.  I suggest low impact exercise and to avoid anything that involves something that was sore previously.  I wouldn't even touch that area until a week or even longer after it does not feel sore any longer, to be safe.  I would consider even shortening your usual routine.  You may want to do cardio, for instance, for your usual hour.  Reduce it to 30 min or 45 min maybe.  Follow up with your doctor on what they recommend, too.
    1. Things that are low impact exercises: walking, elliptical, biking, mind-body yoga (with caution, if something does not feel right or may strain an injury, avoid it or modify it.  let your yoga instructor know before class begins what happened and what they think)
      1. Yoga is what I recommend more for your mind than for your body.  Yes, it has that movement aspect, but it can help calm your mind and put you into a place of peace that you may need in order to mentally/emotionally feel better.
  5. Nourish yourself correctly.  Eat wholesome foods, and eat enough each day.  You may have decreased appetite due to stress, but that is okay.  Try your best. Your body needs the calories to repair your body.  Although you may not be exercising, your body may be using hunger to cue you to keep eating because a) your metabolism does not drop just because you decrease your activity level for a few days and b) your body may need extra nutrition to repair.  
  6. Stay hydrated.  It is important for your body to be not only nourished by food but by water as well.   
 Thank you all for listening to the story, and I appreciate you keeping an open mind on this matter.  Stay well, and stay safe everyone!



What are your opinions on this matter?  Will you make more of an effort, if you do use hands-free, to not after reading this? Do you have any recovery tips to share? Comment below.  

No comments:

Post a Comment