Thursday, September 24, 2015

Product Review: Alive & Radiant: Kale & Veggie Krunch

Everyone who knows me personally is familiar with my obsession with vegetables, specifically kale.  The fixation is real; my mom even calls me "Kale"; it's that bad/sad.
The gang
If you're a friend or acquaintance of mine, our first experience with me eating kale was probably eating it as a salad like a baby dinosaur, watching me with disgust as I threw it into my smoothie, or whipping out a bag of kale chips with a spoon so I could scoop out every last crumb.  I was probably also explaining to you, with kale in my teeth, about my Vitamin K deficiency blah blah blah greens blah blah blah bruising easily/randomly, and so on.

I came to the realization that I found that I like to justify my love of kale for health reasons, which are true, but I just actually like it.  It was through a deficiency that my obsession grew, and I wanted to find more and more ways to incorporate veggies, specifically my leafy green buddy kale, into my diet.

A lot of people I know think it is a disgusting food, and, frankly, if you can't handle a small, bitter bite to your veggies, I don't recommend it.  I think it is good, but everyone has their preferences.  I do recommend this brand of kale chips, though, that I order by the caseload (sorry, wallet).  Even if you don't like kale foods and recipes, these chips are incredible.  That bitter taste is nonexistent.  Although you can make your own in the oven, you are depleting the vegetable of it's essential nutrients through the heat of cooking.

Alive & Radiant does not fry or cook their products; they are raw in the sense that they "dehydrate" them.  They put them through a machine that basically dries them out and makes sure you don't lose the nutritional benefits.  Then, they add flavors to them in order to make them taste even better than just plain!   The way they flavor is through cashews, which is great for those who have dairy issues or are vegan.

I won a contest with them on Facebook (check out their page here; there are tons!).  I am reviewing the products they sent me via this contest (although I am already too familiar with their products).  I haven't found a flavor I do not like.  I was not sent every flavor available, so you should check out their website here for what is out there.

Here is what they sent me!




I love every flavor, and I definitely recommend it as a great way to bring your veggies along with you especially with a busy lifestyle.  They satisfy any chip craving, and you get a lot of bang for your buck diet-wise. If you're not interested in buying online, I know that a lot of Whole Foods Markets have them. 

Southwest Ranch Flavor
This flavor is perfect for those who love the taste of ranch, but don't want to ruin that with a fatty, creamy dressing.  It has that nice ranch "tang" and satisfies that chip craving we all get once in awhile. 

Cheezy Chipotle Flavor
I like this flavor a lot, especially when I am in the mood for salsa!  This has a nice cheesey flavor while keeping a bit of a spice kick at each bite.  I feel like I get to eat queso while not worrying about my arteries clogging with that fake cheese you usually get to make it.

Superfood Flavor
This flavor is awesome for those of you who like just plain, salty chips.  I like that it packs a superfood punch with spirulina, maca, and chia.  You get a lot of essential fats this way.  They even have a spicy version of this, which is the same essential flavor with that spicy kick you taste in cheezy chipotle.

Teriyaki Greens Veggie Krunch


I have no idea why, but the fact that this one has teriyaki flavor always makes me pair it with sushi when I have it.  I love that combination.  It has a sweet and salty (due to the spices and coconut) essence that makes it the perfect midday snack that captures both cravings in one sitting.


My personal favorite: Quite Cheezy flavor
This one is the flavor that I constantly crave.  It is a rich, cheddary flavor that goes with literally everything imaginable: your favorite sandwich, your favorite salad, or just by itself!  I love eating this one, and I honestly have not gotten sick of it after eating this flavor for years.  I love cheddar flavored things, but I have issues with dairy (and cheddar is one of the worst for you if you are sensitive to it).  This was the perfect solution for me, along with all of the healthy benefits I get from eating the chips. 

I would like to say that I divide the bags into servings, but, in all honesty, I finish them all mostly in one sitting.  I told you- this is a real addiction.

Thank you for the free case from the contest, Alive & Radiant!!! Much love, and keep it up!




No comments:

Post a Comment