Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Healthy Recipes: Homemade, Cheaper, Healthier: Peppermint Mocha


Hi all! Off the grid again (big surprise). Grad school and work have been killer, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Marathon update: Oh hey it's over! I plan on making a separate post on how it went, but the short version is I finished, PR'd from a time that was very slow to just slow (hey, a PR is a PR, right?). As of now, I have survived "zero week" (the week after the marathon), and I'll provide more details later. So far so good with recovery(:

It's the holidays...sort of. That means specialty beverage season is in. Unfortunately, those things are so, so bad for you (even with sugar-free syrup). I honestly think, unless you're diabetic, you'd be better off getting the sugar version because all those sugar-free versions are usually chemicals. It depends on where you go for coffee, though. Luckily, many places are doing natural flavors, so we're heading in the right direction. If you're unable to give up your favorite drink, maybe make it a "once a week" thing, like a reward for a hard week at work on Friday. Those drinks can add up and I'm not just talking about calories. 

It is important to know where those cals come from. When a drink adds up to (hypothetically) over 350 cals, 30g of sugar, 10g of fat, 40 carbs, those aren't high quality ingredients. You can cut some of this by choosing either non-fat milk (although milk with fat isn't usually an issue-it's usually "good" fat), hold the whip, ask for one or two pumps less of syrup, and getting a small size. The key is moderation. If you pick one of those modifications and buy the small size, you're heading in the right direction!

If you're not upset by the health quality of your drink and just by the cup if comes in, I can't help you...maybe bring your own cup to the coffee shop? Or find a new, real cause to get worked up over? (Ok- getting off my soapbox).


Recipe:
Now, here is my simple and quick recipe for a homemade peppermint mocha coffee. Now, if at speciality coffee shops you're paying for milk foam, this isn't really an alternative for you. But if you're looking for something healthier and cheaper (meaning you probably have these ingredients lying around the house) this will work for you.

Ingredients:
-cocoa
-coffee (already brewed)
-peppermint or mint extract
-natural sweetener (stevia, coconut sugar, raw sugar)
-optional: any type of milk 

All you have to do is add your ingredients to your coffee. I usually add to taste, but my recommendations are a teaspoon and a half of cocoa and like a 1/4 tsp of the extract (maybe even less- it's REALLY strong). Add your sweetener and milk, and that's all!
Me before I starting my drive to work with my happy drink(:
If you hate mint, just omit or try a dash of cinnamon for a chocolate-y cinnamon beverage. 

Hope you enjoy your caffination variation(; 

No comments:

Post a Comment