Saturday, October 4, 2014

Healthy Recipes: Protein Oatmeal

Hi, all!



I apologize for the lack of posting!  Life has been incredibly hectic lately, but I will try to pick up the posting a little more.  I have another oatmeal recipe for you, inspired by this restaurant I visited called The Protein Bar.  I decided to make my own and find another use for my protein powders besides from smoothies. 

Basically, this restaurant (which I highly recommend-it's hard to find a "fast food" place that is based on healthy, wholesome options.  I came in for breakfast because I was traveling back to campus, and it was close to the train.  They had an item called "Pancake in a Bowl", which was milk, oats, agave, protein powder, and whatever toppings you want (i.e. fresh fruit, raisins, etc). 




I got the vanilla version with vanilla protein powder, nonfat milk, steel cut oats, bananas, and strawberries, and I asked them to leave out the agave.  It was perfectly sweet on its own without the agave.  They had so many types of milk, protein, and toppings to choose from (like vegan powder, almond milk, etc).  Anyone can dine here.  I definitely want to try their burritos or salads sometime.

So, I made a version of this oatmeal, my favorite breakfast, and it turned out really nicely!  I hope you like it.  It's easy, filling, and quick.  It was the perfect recovery breakfast after my last long run of my marathon training (the race finally is almost here-8 days!).

Ingredients/Directions:
-Cook 1/4 cup steel cut oats or 1/2 cup of rolled oats as you normally do, with water or your choice of milk.
-Add your protein powder after transferring your cooked oats into a bowl to eat.  Mix well.  (I used half a scoop of Gaspari Nutrition Peanut Butter Cookie Powder).
-Top as desired (I did half a banana and some strawberries).

Done!  Enjoy(: 

PS-This could be a great overnight oats idea as well!  This meal would be delicious cold as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment