Sunday, October 19, 2014

Post-Marathon Recovery: Zero Week

As promised, I wanted to provide you all with a little reflection on my experience during "zero week" (by Hal Higdon).  This is referred to as the week after the marathon where you rest and recover. 

I completely underestimated the effect the marathon would have on me after-the-fact, to be honest.  When you are training for something like a marathon, all you can think of is the race itself.  I almost couldn't fathom something like an aftermath.  I have been training for so long that I am used to the constant running/sleeping/eating cycle.  Now, I feel a bit lost.  I am getting used to a normal person's life, at least that is what I am referring to it as at least!  I enjoy it and hate it all at the same time. 

Soreness
  • The Day of the Race: I experienced a little soreness as soon as I stopped moving.  A hot shower helped, but once I sat down, I felt my body stiffen and clench.  I foam rolled post-hot shower (to the best of my ability).  I took an ibuprofen before the race, and I took two total the afternoon/evening I came home.
  • The Day After: I was extremely sore.  I experienced a lot of waddling around.  I tried to take the escalator as much as possible, but living in the city, walking/stairs are unavoidable.  Ibuprofen and a heating pad helped, but I was feeling really run down.  My back and neck experienced the most pain.
  • Two Days Later: I was slightly less sore, but I felt really run down still.  I had to teach a spin class that day, so I opted out and told my class what to do.  I do not normally do this, but my body wasn't cooperating on the bike.
  • Three Days Later:  This is when the soreness began to alleviate.  I finally was walking normally, and I sprung for a sports massage this day.  It helped a lot with the extreme stiffness I was experiencing.
Nutrition
  • The Day of the Race: I had a decent breakfast and some gels/chews during the race.  I rehydrated with pure water, but that was it.  I wasn't very hungry when I stopped running, but I forced myself to eat.  I had a Powerbar that was provided after the race, and a container of Kashi cereal they gave me as well on the car ride home.  When I got home, my family and friends shared some Neapolitan pizza and pasta dishes (compliments of my parents-thank you again guys!).  It was light but carb-y enough for recovery.  It also had some good fats (olive oil) and protein from the cheese, so I was set!  I had some Nuun tablets in my water as well because I was really dehydrated.
  • The Day After:  I was extremely hungry this day.  I think my body was making up for the lack of appetite I experienced post-race.  I ate whenever I was hungry, and it honestly felt like every hour.  I tried to eat a lot of protein and omega-3's for recovery.  I also made sure that I had, for the most part, healthy and wholesome meals/snacks.  I began paying more attention to Vitamin C because your immune system suffers greatly after the race. I took my usual supplement as well as ate a lot of fruit.

Rest
  • I took 3 consecutive days off of exercise entirely to recover.  I started feeling ready to exercise the Wednesday after the race (which was on Sunday), but I wanted to give it an extra day, just in case.  These types of races are very hard on the body, and although you may not be experiencing a lot of soreness, you can still be recovering in your muscles as well as skeletal system. 
    • Many say take a week off entirely of exercise, but everyone is different!  My advice is to listen to your body and educate yourself by reading up on different books and articles, as well as asking advice from seasoned marathoners, to make the best decision for you!
  • I have not run since the race.  I felt giving myself a week off of running (and to cross train instead) was the best call since I have a knee injury.  I may try a short run today, being a week later, but I have not decided yet.  I do not want to push my knee too far.  I am also still recovering overall; it takes the body 2-4 weeks to fully recover from a marathon, so although I feel like I can exercise, I may need to still take it easy.
    • This week's schedule:
      • Tuesday and Wednesday: Extremely light biking (only because I taught spin)
      • Thursday:  1 hour on the elliptical, doing interval work mostly.  I avoided adding a lot of weight and gear work to make it easier on my knees and hips.  I kept a moderate gear and did heart rate manipulation for the most part.
      • Friday: Cycle 55, 40 minute easy walk with a friend
      • Saturday: Elliptical 45 minutes 
      • Sunday: I plan to either rest or run an easy 3 miles (I haven't decided yet...)
    • It feels weird taking so many days off, but I was in a very intense training schedule for 4 months.  It is better than taking months off due to injury for pushing myself too hard!  Keep that in mind whenever you are in recovery.
    • I also did not do the 2 spin classes I had to teach on Tuesday and Wednesday.  I rode the bike at a super low gear, and I gave direction.  I also demonstrated exercises to the classes that included new people.  Luckily, explaining the reason I was resting helped clear things up, and my students understood completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment