Saturday, December 6, 2014

Healthy Recipes: Whole Wheat Pancakes

Last Sunday, my dad and I decided to make pancakes.  Although many people consider pancakes consider an unhealthy way to start the day, I disagree.  If you want to make that your splurge and add some crazy stuff to your cakes, by all means, go for it.  But, if you're sneaky like me, there are ways to have you cake and eat it, too (without making it your "cheat meal").  Get it?  Have your cake? Pancakes? Okay, I'm done.

Perfect morning combination. 
So, in this post, I will give you a recipe that makes quick and easy pancakes, while also some tips to order pancakes out if you are at a restaurant.  

When making pancakes at home or ordering at a restaurant, try to opt for a whole wheat blend.  It will keep you fuller longer. Other types of pancakes that are healthier options are oat or buckwheat.  They are slow digesting, complex carbs as well.  Some restaurants may not offer this option, and that's okay.  Not every meal is going to be perfect.
Also order any toppings on the side.  That way, you can control how much syrup, butter, what have you, goes on that pancake.  Some restaurants go crazy with toppings, like whipped cream or chocolate chips, which really doesn't seem necessary to me when you have butter and syrup to top your pancake.  I used to only eat the pancake with chocolate chips plain, back in the day.  The syrup and butter was overkill.

When it comes to syrup alternatives, I wouldn't suggest sugar free syrup, to be honest.  It is full of chemicals.  Natural maple syrup is the way to go, if you are going that route.  In addition, butter isn't always a "no-no".  Just add the syrup in spoonfuls instead of pouring it on. Butter can be a healthy fat if you only add one tablespoon maximum.  I don't like butter on my pancake, but for some, this is a must. The trick to butter and syrup is moderation.






Personally, I like adding yogurt to my pancake.  See if this is an option.  Try Greek yogurt, if it is available.  Sometimes, restaurants offer it on the "a la carte" menu with berries and granola.  This is a great way to top your pancake and skip out of syrup/butter.  Just practice moderation with that granola!


Whether you are ordering whole wheat or regular, try to stick with one pancake.  When you think about it, pancakes are pretty filling by themselves.  I don't feel the need to eat a short stack anymore when I take my time and enjoy the large pancake in front of me.  Add a side of fruit to your meal for antioxidants and fiber, a glass of milk for protein and calcium, or eggs for added protein.

My dad and I decided to go with a whole wheat pancake mix (Aunt Jemima brand). The mix required  one egg, oil, and milk.  I used two egg whites in place of the egg, oil, and nonfat milk.  My dad took 1/3 cup of batter, about, for each pancake (except mine).  He is the perfect pancake maker.  He just sprays the pan lightly, puts the batter on, flips when the bubbles form.  That's it!

We also threw some blueberries in mine, which is my favorite. I topped my pancake with honey flavored Noosa yogurt and more berries.  My dad made me an extra large pancake (he was making two per person, and I asked for just one...so he decided to just combine the two I guess).  I ate the whole thing anyway, and it was DELICIOUS.  This breakfast was easy, healthy, quick, and big.  I was full the entire morning and felt fueled enough to shoot some baskets with him after we ate.



Most important meal of the day done right.  Enjoy!







No comments:

Post a Comment