Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Fitness: 5 Ways to Entertain Yourself During Long Runs/Long Workouts

I used to literally keep awake at night dreading the long run ahead of me in the morning.  Believe me, I love running.  BUT.  I can admit that long runs suck.  They take out a huge chunk of your day, you chaff, bleed possibly, you're bored throughout the whole thing, and you're overtired the rest of the day.  They really do suck sometimes. 

What I won't admit is that the results and experiences I have had after doing long runs (even when I am not training) are awesome.  I have actually grown to have a love-hate relationship with them.  The hate part is listed above, but I will talk about the love part that I developed over time.  I feel so accomplished afterwards.  I feel like I overcame a challenge, which I set for myself.  This is the type of thing that means that if you fail and cannot finish, no one is let down.  No one is counting on you.  It is just you and your body involved, nobody else.  I love the fact that I can choose to challenge myself and push myself in ways that are appropriate for me. 

There are some things that I have made up to entertain myself during long runs that I actually look forward to now that I don't dread long runs.  I wanted to share them with you because it could help change your outlook on long workouts too! 

Here are 5 things that entertain me during long runs
  • Podcasts
    • I love listening to podcasts during long runs.  I feel like they are really underrated.  I have only indulged in a few, but Serial had me hooked for awhile.  Now, I'm listening to Conversation Parade, which is about a cartoon I watch (I'm mature I swear) called Adventuretime.  It's hysterical.  There are so many types to choose from.  Plus, they're free, which is a bonus.
  • Audiobooks
    • Not only do you get to become a more intelligent human being through literature, you get to be distracted by a good story and all the work of reading is done by somebody else!   It's awesome.  I've listened to the Hunger Games, Divergent, Devil in the White City, etc, for instance. 
  •  Make a game for yourself/take in your surroundings
    • People watching, if you're outside in a popular running area, is awesome.  If you're in a not popular area, you tend to think of stupid games a lot involving how many janky cars just passed you, how many times someone honks at you (I'm still not sure why they do this-is it a motivational thing?), or when you pass roadkill you keep a count. Yep, I actually did that when I trained for the Chicago Marathon in the suburbs. Both gross and sad. Obviously, the suburbs was not my ideal training grounds, but you do what you have to do!
  •  Use your music!
    • For each mile, choose 1 artist.  I love doing this.  It makes me look forward to finishing up the mile, and I forget that I am trying to get to a certain distance.  Also, look into your old music and throw it on your ipod.  It makes you nostalgic and excited when you hear that song when it comes up on shuffle.  It's kind of sad how excited I got when some MJ popped up. 
  •   Join a group/grab a running buddy/call someone
    • Making this a social event makes it all the better.  Maybe you all could go out to eat afterwards or grab a coffee.  If you cannot find a buddy, call a friend to catch up when you're hitting those struggle miles!  I have done this so many times because there are so many people I want to catch up with from home, and I get excited about talking to them and forget about what I am doing.  Running groups are sometimes hard to find, but if you're in the city they have a great selection!  Ask your local running store or google some.  Start your own if you have to!  Grabbing a buddy can also be a great option.  If they don't like running or whatever you're doing, maybe have them bike next to you!  It's a great way to be held accountable for your runs, and it can be really fun.
Well!  These are some tips I have for you.  Do you have any things that keep you motivated during your toughest workouts? Comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment