Monday, September 15, 2014

Marathon Training/Peak Week: My 20 Mile Run Reflections

Every long run, I think about the amazing things I am fortunate to have in my life.  My 20 miler was no exception.  This is my most important long run of training, and I actually did it.  I remembered how incredible it is to be alive, as corny as that sounds.  I'm not sure what brought this on (probably my runner's high), but I was so glad to be doing what I was doing, despite how sore, tired, and hungry I was that day.  I reflected on what got me through the door that day and why I didn't stop when things got tiring.

The things that got my through this run:
  • The support of my family, friends, and Nike team.  I honestly couldn't have stepped foot out the door on Saturday without you.  Everyone has been so encouraging, and I am inspired every day by you all.
  • My IPod with the audiobook of Divergent.  I live in Chicago, and I am blessed with the experience of running on the Lakeshore Path and getting to view everything that makes our city amazing during one long run.  The story takes place in Chicago because it is where the author was living in college at the time it was written, so it made my run incredibly interesting not to mention action-packed when I listened to it. 
  • My pink camelback.  I stash everything from a phone, goo's, and money in my water backpack.  It allowed me to stay hydrated for the bulk of my run and hold onto my possessions in a more comfortable way as opposed to relying on pockets and belts that chaff me.  
  • The Lakeshore Path
    • This includes the friendly faces I saw, the inspiring athletes, joyful families, and adorable dogs I saw that day.  Everyone I saw kept me going.
    • The view as well as the weather
      • I couldn't have asked for a more gorgeous day.  It was sunny and breezy.  Perfect running weather.  I was grateful to spend time outside in the first place, let alone run in it.
  • My feet and legs.
    • This is a weird thing to think about, but they are my entire ability to run.  They physically keep me going, even when it gets hard.  I know there are so many people in the world that will never run or cannot run any longer, let alone walk, and I am happy to have this experience in the here and now. Someday, I may never be able to run again, and I will think back to this particular one proudly and fondly.

No comments:

Post a Comment