Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Snack Attack: My Favorite Snacks and How to Make Them

I'm a huge snacker, and a bulk of my calories throughout the day come from snacks.  I find that smaller meals and more snacks works for me more as an athlete; everyone is different though!  Find what works for you.  I have read a lot of studies that snacking can benefit you by preventing hungry binges; keeping your metabolism going through small, healthy snacks throughout the day maintains your blood sugar levels.  It will prevent you from overeating when meals come into play. 

I have to eat about every 3 hours or so during this marathon training (I know...it's getting ridiculous).  I won't argue with more food, though.  Let's be real here.  There are a lot of snacks that are my go-to's, so here are a few of my favorites!

  • Kale Chips
    • Make your own (toss kale with olive oil, bake at 325 degrees for about 10-12 minutes, season to taste).
    • Buy some!  I like the brands Alive and Radiant as well as Brad's Raw.
  • Hard Boiled Eggs
  • Greek Yogurt and Fruit
    • Chobani has my favorite.  I usually freeze it for a little and add whatever fruit I want.  Lately, I've been loving Chobani Coconut 2% Greek Yogurt with Blueberries.  
  • Protein Bars
    • Quest bars, Powercrunch, Clif Bars, Luna Bars, Krush Protein Bars, Cheesecake Protein bars, et cetera.  
  • Popcorn (Air-Popped)
    • Add whatever toppings you want!  Olive oil, melted chocolate, peanut butter, whatever suits your fancy!
  • Trail Mix
    • I love Trader Joe's Trail mix.  It's the best!
  • Bananas/Apples with Natural Peanut Butter or Almond Butter
  • Greek Yogurt with Peanut Butter --->Personal Favorite!
    • I mix plain greek yogurt (1 container or 1/2 cup measured) with a tablespoon of natural chunky peanut butter and a packet of truvia.  To mix this up, sometimes I throw in some semi-sweet mini chocolate chips.  It's heaven!
      • Substitute: plain greek yogurt with stevia with  just vanilla greek yogurt
  • Smoothies
    • protein powder, half or full frozen banana, handful of spinach, strawberries, blueberries, whatever I'm in the mood for
  • Hummus, Veggies, Whole Grain Crackers or SunChips

No comments:

Post a Comment