Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Races: Preparing the Night Before/The Morning Before

Whenever I prepare for a race, I like to do most of it the night before a race.  The morning of can be extremely stressful, so I try to do as much as I can ahead of time.  That way I avoid a lot of road bumps that come along with getting ready for/traveling to a race.  Competing is stressful enough in the first place, so I'm all for anything that makes it easier!

Here is a checklist of things that I do the night before a race:
  •  Lay out my clothes.
    • Sometimes, I even sleep in my running clothes.  I mean, why not, right?
  • Plan my pre-race meal.  I make sure I have all the ingredients I need.  If you want to make your meal ahead of time (i.e. overnight oats, pb&j sandwich, etc), go for it!
  • If I plan on using my camelback or belt...
    • wash all water bottles or the water holder, fill them.
  • Things to charge:
    • Ipod
    • phone
    • HR monitor
    • GPS watch
  • Pick out my Goo's and Chews
    • I pack enough needed for that distance as well as an extra.
  • Bring at least one snack for before the race in case you are hungry as well as a snack for afterwards.
    • Pack a banana or extra goo if you need a burst of fuel pre-race!
    • Normally, they provide snacks afterwards like bars, bananas, and so on, but you never know.
  • Make sure you have any athletic tape, joint straps, or whatever braces you need in order to race.  

Here is a list of things I make sure I have before leaving my house that morning:
  • Wallet with ID, money, and phone.
  • Ipod with headphones
  • watches and monitors
  • Goo's and chews
  • Gear check bag
  • Inhaler (if you have one)
  • Your personal bib as well as pins (They usually provide pins for you, but double check, you may need to use your own from home!)
  • water or fluids for before, after, or during the race
    • I haven't been to a race that does not provide water on the course, but check your map to make sure you do not need to bring your own.  If you are more comfortable being in charge of when to hydrate, bring your own water with whatever holder it comes in (ie. camelback, belt, hand-strap).
I hope these lists help you organize for your race!  Good luck, and happy running!

No comments:

Post a Comment