Sunday, September 7, 2014

Race Recap: The Chicago Half Marathon 2014/My Dad's First Half

Hi all!  Today, I ran my 3rd half marathon.  This one was truly special (third time is the charm, right?); I got to share this experience with my dad.  He has been working so hard this summer, and I am so proud of his determination to finish this race.  He's always been a champion in my eyes growing up, so I am not surprised he accomplished this since he works hard at everything he does.  My biggest reward with this race was the bond we developed over it, and I am so glad he signed up.

This post will be a quick recap of how the race went for me as a marathoner-in-training as well as my dad's first experience.  I asked my dad for a quick reflection (the italicized portion) to share with you guys.  I really enjoyed his story; I hope you like it as well!  I will also be making a second post tomorrow about preparing for race day.  Here is the photo review of today's race as well as my dad's perspective on training for his first half!

Running a half marathon was never a goal of mine up until a year ago.  I cheered my daughter Jordan on her first half marathon and thought it was a really cool event.  I thought, hey this would be a neat feeling to run across that finish line with thousands of spectators cheering.  But I never thought I would actually do it since I was never a serious runner.  But then I saw the sense of accomplishment my daughter
felt and she started to encourage me to try.  I was approaching my 50th birthday so I thought about it and said to myself, why not try something way out of my comfort zone.  I have always thought that was the only way to truly grow as a person.
I also thought that this would be a great way to share a really special time with my daughter.  So I told Jordan, sign me up.
A year sneaks up on you pretty fast.  I had no idea how hard it would be, especially finding time to train with the busy life that that my family already has.  My first step was to get ready for a 10k race in May.  That went pretty well and I was able to get ready for it with only a few weeks of training.
The half marathon was a different story.  I knew that I could not cram for it.  I had to have discipline to be ready for the race without injuring myself.
We'll now that it's done and I can reflect on the last couple months I feel a lot of satisfaction for having accomplished my goal and am really glad that I've been able to train with my daughter and share an interest that has been really important to her.  I also feel physically better than I have in years.
I don't know if I will run another half marathon, but I will keep running as long as my body allows for all the reasons I mentioned.
If anyone out there is thinking about running a distance race, but doesn't think he or she can do it, I can tell you that I felt the same way and you absolutely can.  It takes planning, discipline and  desire.  Support from friends and family are a big help as well.
If you wish to take on a challenge like a half marathon, stay positive even when the goal seems far away. I can tell you from personal experience you get there.  Remember, slow and steady finishes the race.  Good luck!!!

5 minutes until starting time!

Showing off.



Recovery breakfast at Pick Me Up Cafe.


My poached eggs with veggies and toast!

Dad with his post-race berry pancakes!


This is probably my favorite picture of all time.  Congrats, Dad!


Dad, I have always been so proud and inspired by you, and today was definitely not an exception to that.  Seeing you accomplish this and being at your side was something I will never forget.  I love you and admire you so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment