Saturday, August 30, 2014

Marathon Training: Mental Sanity During Long Runs

As my mileage begins to increase during the peak of my training this season, I have needed more inspiration and motivation during long runs.  A new playlist just isn't enough anymore.  I feel like I have listened to my entire IPod about 12 times over after the 10 mile mark.  As runners, we try to find new ways to mix it up during our runs.  I have been extremely desperate to do this since I have been doing most of my runs alone as I train in the suburbs (luckily, that will change in the next week!).  Here are some ideas on how to keep in interesting and fresh when you long run.

  • Find a buddy/training group.
    • Again, I haven't had much luck with this in the suburbs, but there are online forums where you can search for running buddies and groups (just be careful!).  My problem here is that no one else I know has been running the amount I have.  
      • I have done part of my runs with someone who is running less, though.  For example, I would schedule a long run with my dad.  I would run the first part (let's say six miles) by myself, and loop around to pick him up and run the remainder afterwards with him.  Not only would it hold me/him accountable for our runs, but it makes it so much easier to get through the run when you chat/catch up/bond with somebody else.  I feel like running with my dad has brought us a lot closer(:
  • Lose the music.
    • I know, WHAT.  Honestly, running with music has been an essential for me.  But, what if your IPod runs out of battery during your race?  Are you mentally prepared to run without one?  I would personally freak out but try to push through anyway.  Practice running without Lady Gaga blasting in your ears; it could benefit you in that sense.  
    • In addition, it will make you focus on the nature around you.   You can appreciate the outdoors instead.  It also forces you to be social if you are running with a buddy or group.
    • Try an audiobook.  I did this during my last long run, and it went by so much quicker than they usually do.  I love to read, and this was the perfect way for me to pass the time and focus on something else as I ran.  
  • Divide your run.
    • I like making my runs into smaller ones (I call them checkpoints...like a video game I guess).  For example, if I'm doing a 12 miler, I would divide it into 4's.  It makes the run a lot more bearable if you think of 4 mile intervals rather than a large 12 mile run.  You feel like you accomplish something at each division.
    •  Physically divide your runs!  Go 4 miles one way, run back, and continue another four miles, then go back.   If mental check points don't work for you, this will!
  • Plan/mix up your route.
    • Maybe you're sick of running around your usual town.  Try a forest preserve, trail, or new town.  Mixing up your route can be better for your joints, too.  If you're used to running on the road, a trail will be less impact overall.
  • Save a playlist for the last part of your run.  
    • It will give you something to look forward to when the going gets rough.  If you look forward to the playlist, that will motivate you to get to the part of the run you reserved for it. 
Whatever you do, don't give up!  When you go through a running rut, try to mix things up.  Stay motivated, and keep on running.

No comments:

Post a Comment