Monday, August 25, 2014

Healthy Recipes: Chicken Salad

I was recently inspired by Simply Taralynn to do this recipe. She has one of my favorite blogs of all time and posts a lot of great recipes from dessert to dinner to snacks. She knows how to balance healthy and indulgent, and that is exactly what this recipe is about.
I am not the type of person who goes for creamy, savory things. What I mean by that is I'm the type to order a vinaigrette rather than ranch dressing on my salad. The latter is not my style. I recently discovered how yummy chicken salad is when I tried some at Trader Joes and, to my dismay, I also discovered how awful it is for you. Thanks, a lot, Mayo. ("Is Mayonnaise an instrument?") Sorry, I'm a Spongebob fan through and through.

Fortunately, Taralynn posted this light chicken salad recipe that I rennovated to be even healthier. If you are interested, here is the link! http://simplytaralynn.com/2014/08/21/light-chicken-salad-recipe/
I made it even more (bad) fat conscious and allergy conscious (I have family members allergic to nuts), so I hope you like it!




Ingredients:
  • 1 container (or 6 oz) Oikos 0% Greek Yogurt
  • 1/2 cup Olive Oil Based Mayo
  • 1 can (1.5 cups) Chickpeas, drained/rinsed
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 cup grapes, chopped in halves
  • 3 cups broccoli
  • 15 oz chicken breast, diced
  • 2 packets truvia
  • 2 tbs apple cider vinegar
  • 1/2 cup onion, chopped
Instructions:
  1. Prepare your ingredients (make sure everything is measured, diced, and cooled).
  2. Take all of the dry ones (chicken, beans, broccoli, grapes, garlic, truvia, and onion) and put it in a large Tupperware container.
  3. Add your liquid ingredients to this mix (yogurt, mayo, and vinegar). Stir and mix these well. Using Tupperware is helpful because you can place a top on the container and shake it, like a salad, to distribute evenly.
  4. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour and enjoy!
  5. This recipe will create about 8 servings (1 cup each). I would say that the shelf life would be 4-5 days at most. Some fun add ins are nuts, sunflower seeds, dried cranberries, etc! I used it as a salad and just added raw spinach or kale to it or stuffed it in a sandwich. Both ways, it was delicious and lasted me days!
Nutrition Info:

No comments:

Post a Comment