Thursday, August 21, 2014

Fueling for an Early Morning Workout

Personally, I like to get up and get my workout, run, what have you, over with.  It can be really tough to roll out of bed for a sweat session, but my mindset is that when you get it over with as soon as you rise, you don't have time to rethink it, dread it, et cetera.  It can be nice to check that part of your day off of your list.  Plus, it energizes you and wakes you up!  I don't always work out first thing in the morning, but when I do (insert Dos Equis line here), I never regret it.

My biggest problem with early morning workouts is fueling beforehand. I never work out on an empty stomach; I find I can't go all out and put in 100% without having something in my stomach.  I don't recommend skipping breakfast before a workout; it can be dangerous.  You don't dip into fat stores, as a many believe.  You start eating away at muscle, and your blood sugar may dip.  This can cause dangerous fatigue, and you may risk feeling light-headed.  I Here are my early morning breakfast go-to's. 



No time whatsoever:
-Clif Bars (my favorite is the Maple Nut)
  • The carb-sugar-protein-calorie ratio is perfect.  I feel energized enough for an hour of working out and love these in a pinch.  I haven't had a flavor I didn't like.
  • I've even been in a pinch before an early morning long run, and this did the trick until I needed to refuel with GU's.
-A banana or small piece of fruit
  • A lot of people can't stomach anything in the morning, but a banana is a great way to start getting your body used to food first thing when you wake up.  The natural sugars will keep you energized.

A little bit of time:
-Overnight Oats
  • Combine oats with milk in tupperware, and let it sit overnight. Top with yogurt, granola, fruit, whatever you want!  Delicious!
-Yogurt with fruit, granola or cereal
-Whole Grain Cereal with fruit and milk
-Egg or two with whole wheat english muffin and avocado
-Veggie Omelet with a slice of whole wheat toast
-Toast with pb&j



An hour before:
-Oatmeal
  • Every morning,  I start with PB&J oats (when I can!).  I like steel cut or regular rolled oats topped with one tablespoon of no sugar added strawberry jelly and one tablespoon of chunky peanut butter.  It is SO GOOD.  This can be a great recovery meal as well.
  • Other ideas:
    • dark chocolate, berries, granola, nuts, chia seeds, etc
 Whatever you do, make sure you have the most important meal of the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment