Thursday, August 28, 2014

Current Craving: Fruit Bowls

I have no idea why, but for the last few days all I have been craving is fruit, fruit, and more fruit.  I believe that marathon training is making my body crave healthier things in order for me to take care of myself during this process.  I also think the weather affects this too; whenever the weather gets nice, I find myself gravitating towards more fresh and seasonal food.  I've been averaging around 2 big bowls a day...I'm embracing it, though, for a these reasons:
  1. It's fruit.  That's guilt free in itself.  
    1. Those that watch their fruit intake over cutting back on processed sweets need a reality check.
  2. It's fresh and whole food that really gives you health benefits.  Many people in the world don't have access nor the resources to have a simple indulgence like fresh fruit every day, and I am thankful for being fortunate to have these things at my disposal.  Some can't afford it, and some do not have it available. 
  3. The antioxidants in the berries I eat are good for muscle soreness and getting rid of free radicals in the body created by my exercise habits.
  4. It curbs my cravings for other sweets...to a certain extent..(:
  5. It increases hydration and adds good carbohydrates into my diet (an essential for runners!).
I thought I would dedicate this post to my favorite fruits as of late and their benefits.  A lot of the time, after dinner, when I would usually crave sweets like ice cream, cookies, and chocolate, I would have a big bowl of fruit.  It honestly satisfied that sweet tooth, and, when it didn't and I still wanted those things, I knew I truly wanted those indulgences (so that is when I give in!). 

(From yesterday)This is a picture of what my fruit typically bowls look like...This picture is so pretty that I think I'll be making one shortly after this post.


Without further ado, here are my favorite fruits (all shown in the picture) and the amazing things that they do!

Strawberries
  •  good source of 
    • magnesium, vit C, potassium
  • lowers blood pressure
  • increases HDL, which is good cholesterol
  • source of antioxidants/ fights against cancer
Blueberries
  • good source of vit C and antioxidants
  • high fiber
  • improves circulation

Blackberries
  •  high fiber
  • fights cardiovascular disease and cancer
  • high in Vitamin A, C, and K
  • lowers cholesterol

Pineapple
  • has bromelain (which reduces inflammation)
  • high in Vitamin C, thiamine, B-6, and magnesium

Raspberries
  • high potassium, calcium, and antioxidants
  • fights inflammation
  • high fiber
  • fights cancer

Papaya 
  • good source of potassium, folate, and fiber
  • high in Vit C and A
  • red fleshed vs yellow fleshed 
    • red has lycopene, which reduces risk of cancer!

I got all of my research information from WebMD and Livestrong.com, by the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment