Saturday, August 23, 2014

For the Long Run: Fuel Tips

Pre-long run, I try to get at least 40 grams of carbohydrates in before I start.  After about an hour or so, I feel fatigued and need more energy.  This is due to electrolyte loss, depleting my carbohydrates, and a dip in blood sugar.

I have tried a lot of brands in terms of during-run fuel, and GU has been my favorite thus far.  Clif makes some great running fuel as well.  I have some favorite flavors when it comes to the goo's and chews I have tried.  Here are my top picks!

Goo's:
  • GU Chocolate Peanut Butter
  • GU Chocolate Mint
  • GU Expresso and Clif Expresso Love
  • GU Peanut Butter
  • GU Chocolate Outrage
  • GU Vanilla
    • All of the goo's that aren't fruit-y flavored have been good bets for me.  I don't enjoy the fruit flavored ones, surprisingly.  It seems odd, but those types of flavors were not very palatable.  Anything chocolate, vanilla, or peanut butter have been delicious (for a GU, at least)!
      • I usually have a goo when the hour mark hits during a long run (or when I reach about 5 or 6 miles).  I went about 16 miles today and had another goo when I reached 10.5 miles.  I loved both flavors that I tried for the first time today (Chocolate Peanut Butter then Chocolate Mint).
        • Benefits: Some with or without caffeine, carb replenishment, flavor variety, portable, easy to open, easy to digest, and electrolyte replenishment
Chews:
  •  GU Chomps Strawberry, Watermelon, Blueberry Pomegranate, Orange, etc  
  • Clif has great flavors as well (i.e. Black Cherry).  I plan on trying out their products in the future.
  • I also plan on trying out sports beans at some point. They seem like a nice change up from the usual fuel I have.
      • I started out with these before.  I have had Gatorade brand, but personally did not like those chews.  They didn't work well for me. 
        • Benefits: If you need a little bit of a boost but not enough for a goo, these are great in my opinion.  When I go for a run that is 13 miles or less, I have a chew a mile after the 10 mile mark (if I feel I need it).
          • Taste like fruit snacks, carb replenishment, with or without caffeine, flavor variety, portable

Hydration:
  • Personally, my first choice is water, but lately I have needed a bit of an electrolyte boost during my runs.  I have tried brews and Gatorade products, but I did not like them.  I finally found a brand called "Nuun" that have worked really well for me!  The taste is delicious but subtle and they come in tabs that dissolve into about 16 ounces of water. 

Some natural ideas for long run fuel (I prefer the goo's the most because of portability, won't melt outside, and easy to digest):
  • Dates
  • Granola
  • Trail Mix
  • Cereal
  • Snack bars cut into pieces
    •  I've done Larabars before, and I liked the result.  I cut it into pieces and ate them every few miles.

So, remember: Stay hydrated and fueled!  You'll thank me later(: You'll recover easier, perform better, and overall feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment