Thursday, July 24, 2014

Fitness: Being Active When You Hate Exercise

I am fortunate to be a fitness junkie.  Like everyone else, I have those days where lacing up my sneakers or changing into my gym clothes turns into the biggest chore in the world (that's why I sleep in my workout clothes---good tip, then you can't get out of tomorrow's workout).  Sleeping in my gym clothes makes me mentally committed to working out for whatever reason.

Anyways, you don't have to commit to an hour cardio or weights session to remain active.  It isn't realistic for a lot of people with full time jobs and families.  I'm lucky to be a college student that only has to take care of herself, work on the side, and be successful at school.  It gives me time to be as active as I am and train intensely.  I'm also extra lucky that my part time job IS working out (I consider that cheating). 

Here are some ways that you can get out and be active (while not hating every second of it).  None of these are hardcore, sweat sessions.  They can be used as time to take for yourself and get those endorphins kicking in.  Maybe though trying these different activities, you may learn to love being active and progress to more intense workouts.  The first step is getting out there and trying new things!
    • Go for a walk during your lunch break, walk your dogs, strap your baby in a stroller, or end each evening with a walk after dinner.  Do it with family, a friend, or use it as "you" time.
      • Studies show that taking a walk after meals will reduce dessert cravings.  This may train you to avoid hitting the ice cream pint straight after dinner!
    •  Go shopping/window shopping.  You'd be surprised how much walking you do after a long day of this!
    • Walk to the store, coffee shop, gym, anywhere that is a reasonable distance instead of driving!
  •  Biking
    • Take a bike ride! This can also be done with family and friends.  Make it leisurely.  Plan it out, and find a scenic trail(:  This could be a great date for couples!
  •  Play!
    • Play Wii fit with your friends or kids!  Switch it out instead of your regular video games.  
    • Go outside, and play with your kids or friends!
      • Get a baseball, volleyball, basketball, etc team together and meet every week for a game and some practice! Have soem fun.
      • Throw the football around with your kid, or grab a pair of mits and play baseball!
  • Cleaning
    • Personally, this sounds like my worst nightmare, but some people actually enjoy it!  If you find your zen in straightening up, you can burn some cals through it!  
      • Think about it --- vacuuming your entire home is a straight hour or two on your feet.  You're walking and pushing a large vacuum back and forth.  There's a reason you're tired after cleaning day!
  •  Dancing (If you hate dancing, clearly you have no soul.)
    • Go dancing with your friends instead of the sportsbar!  Find a club and have some fun! That way you can at least work off a beer or two(; 
    • Remember DDR (Dance, Dance Revolution!)?  That was one of my best cardio workouts as a kid, and I never saw it that way!  I always just saw it as dancing/fun with friends.  I came home every day from school and played it for hours.
    • ZUMBA
      • This may be your new thing!  I loved Zumba class when I first started working out.  You get into the routines, get excited when your favorite song comes on, and the time flies by.   You can take Zumba as intensely as you want.  As I always say, your workout, your rules.
  • Never taking the escalator or elevator (within reason!)
    • I try to always take the stairs when I can!  It's an easy way to incorporate some cardio without even thinking about it.
  • Watch TV
    • You heard me(;  During commercials, do sit ups, push ups, planks, or jumping jacks.  
    • Walk on the treadmill during TV time.  
      • This may also help reduce TV snacking, too.  
      • Walking
Hope this gives you some ideas!  Just remember to get out there, and find your thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment