Saturday, July 12, 2014

Fitness: The Importance of Rest

I woke up to the sound of rain today. My long run got cancelled this morning with Nike and rescheduled for tomorrow morning.  Although that put a bit of a twist on my plans for the weekend, I realized the real potential of my day: recovery and rest. 

I haven't gotten a chance to run with Nike, and I am a little nervous and intimated to join them during a long run.  This rest day may aid me though; I am trying different weekly schedules when it comes to long runs.  Normally, I would continue with my schedule per usual, do a low impact but normal tempo workout the day before a long run, then long run the next day.  That day would be followed by a rest day.  I have decided to switch it up a few times; I will either do a light workout day the day before a long run or take my rest day the day before a long run.  I realized that resting the day before this run has been benefiting me more.  I am faster, have more energy, and feel ready/pumped to lace up my shoes again.  I think that resting before a run with Nike may help me keep up with this group, so I am looking forward to seeing how tomorrow goes!

A lot of people ask me if I allot myself rest days. My answer? Of course I do!  They are equally as important as the days you exercise.  I try to give myself at the very least 1 rest day a week (meaning no exercise aside from walking my dogs or something). 

The human body cannot go hard 24/7.  It functions best when you give it time to repair the muscles you tear throughout the week through working out.  Then, you build more muscle in the long run.  Over-training leads to overuse of muscles and, ultimately, injury. 

Here is a helpful article from Active.com about rest days:
http://www.active.com/running/articles/what-to-do-on-rest-and-recovery-days


I like that this article differentiates between a rest day and a light workout day.  They are not the same thing.  It is important to recognize this and not overwork yourself.  Treating your body like a temple includes resting.  Respect your body; give yourself time to recover.

What do you like to do on your rest days?  Catch up on Netflix? Read a new book? Go shopping? Sleep in?  Go to brunch with friends?  Comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment