Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Healthy Desserts: Avocado Brownies

Hey everyone!  I've been wanting to try a variation of this type of recipe for a while.  There has been a lot of buzz about using avocados as a substitute for butter in baking.  I looked up some recipes on the internet, and used those to get a start/as a template and then my own judgement.  These actually turned out fantastic!  They're extremely fudge-y and rose on their own (without any baking powder or soda).  I was really surprised by the nutrition info as well.  It's whole wheat, naturally sweetened with organic cane sugar, antioxidants from the chocolate, and the fat is from egg and avocado.  All good stuff!  I recommend microwaving them with some peanut butter or topping with vanilla ice cream/frozen yogurt(:


Ingredients
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup of organic cane sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 3/4 mashed avocado
  • 1 tbs vanilla extract
  • 1/3-1/2 cup hot water
  • 1/2 dark chocolate cocoa powder
  • 1/2 ghiradelli 60% chocolate chips
    • I have a nut allergy in the house as of now, but I plan on making these with peanut butter chips when I move back to my apartment! If you try this variation, do share the results with me!
  • 1 container of chobani vanilla greek 100 (or 6 oz of any vanilla yogurt)


Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Beat the eggs, avocado, and yogurt in a mixer.
  3. In a separate bowl, mix the hot water and cocoa powder.  Add in vanilla extract to this.
  4. Add the sepearate bowl mixture into the mixer bowl with egg, avo, and yogurt.  Then, add your sugar and flour.
  5. Put half the amount of chocolate chips into this mixture.  Save the rest to top the brownies.
  6. Pour the mixture into a greased pan and bake for min 25 minutes, max 35.  Let them cool before eating!
  7. Storage: I would put the leftovers after a day into the fridge because of the yogurt and avo.  Enjoy for 1 week(:
Batter poured into the pan pre-baking



Done baking


Enjoy(:



Nutrition Info for 24 brownies


No comments:

Post a Comment