Sunday, July 13, 2014

Product Review: Optimum Nutrition

I have been doing research on many protein/fitness products, and Optimum Nutrition was kind enough to send me samples of their powders and workout supplements!  I received their Gold Standard Whey Vanilla Ice Cream powder, Pro Complex Rich Milk Chocolate powder, and Amino Energy Pre-workout Support Powder in Lemon Lime.


  • Pro Complex Rich Milk Chocolate
    • Rich, creamy flavor without any other ingredients!  I blended it with just water and ice in my ninja after a run, and it was like a frothy chocolate milkshake. 
    • Variations: I decided to add more carbs (for post-run recovery) by putting in half a frozen banana and half a cup of baby spinach (for added vitamin K).  It blended really well and kept its creamy taste!
 
  • Gold Standard Whey Vanilla Ice Cream 
    • I blended it with water and ice, first. I was curious as to the pure taste of the powder without any additives.
      •  On its own, it was creamy and frothy like the chocolate flavor mentioned above.  It honestly tasted like vanilla ice cream, which surprised me.  I truly would have drank this on its own, but, I wanted the powder to be combined with carbs (I drank this on the day of my long run and needed to up my intake).  
    • Perfect shake for a hot day.  It reminded me of getting a vanilla shake in the summertime after dinner with my family as a kid.
    • Variations: Half a frozen medium banana.  It turned it into a banana vanilla shake, and I savored every sip. 
 
  • Amino Energy Pre-Workout in Lemon Lime
    •  As a runner and caffeine addict, I was psyched to receive this supplement.  I had a very early long run with my group this morning and had to avoid coffee beforehand.  My stomach would not have had enough time to adjust to it before the run began. Having caffeine in my system that wouldn't upset my stomach was something I was definitely interested in.
    • It was super easy to prepare.  All I had to do was mix it with 8oz of water.  It mixed really well.
    • It was very tasty.  I liked that it tasted like lemon/lime-ade.  My friend got the other half of the packet as well, and she enjoyed the taste overall.  I was afraid it would have been too strong of a taste, but it was pretty good.  Sweet and sour in all the right amounts.
    • The serving I took had 100mg of caffeine, and I was pleased with the results.  I had energy all throughout my run, especially in the beginning.  Most importantly, my stomach agreed with it.  That is important during a long run. 



I definitely recommend Optimum Nutrition as a brand.  Not only do they have high quality protein and supplements, but you can't beat the taste as well.  A lot of powders have added sugar to improve taste, but ON doesn't need that in the least.  I liked the results so much that I already invested in their Cookies and Cream 2lb powder...(;

No comments:

Post a Comment