Friday, July 18, 2014

Healthy Recipes: Lavender Lacey Cookies

Hello, all!  I made a trip to the farmer's market this morning and picked up a TON of fresh veggies and fruits. The farmer's market is a great way to save money on produce, choose healthy and organic options, and support local businesses.  The summertime and beginning of fall is usually when the markets are around, so take advantage!  I suggest looking up your local market and planning that to be your grocery day.  I got a ton of organic products for about half the cost it would have been at a regular market or grocery store.

One of the things that I caught my eye and wasn't a common buy for me was fresh lavender.  I love lavender in anything, so I thought I would give it a try for baking.  I believe this will be the start of a big lavender kick for me...





I got recipe ideas online and decided to use them as a template and create my own healthier version of these cookies.  They're usually light as a cookie in general (if you are planning to make "Lacey" kind, and I took on the challenge of making them even lighter.

So, without further ado, here are the ingredients, nutritional information, directions, and pictures(:

Ingredients
  •  raw oats - 2/3 cup
  • natural cane sugar or coconut sugar - 2/3 cup
  • 1 medium egg
  • fresh lavender (about half a tablespoon)
  • dash of salt 
  • 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract
  • 2 tsp of coconut oil (sub same amount but with butter, if you prefer or don't have coconut oil)


Directions 
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray your cookie sheet with nonstick spray.
  2. Take your sugar and about a third of your fresh or dried lavender (1/2 tsp exactly) and mix them together using a blender or food processor.
  3. Take your egg and whisk it in a bowl.  Then, add in your sugar mixture.
  4. Add the rest of your ingredients into the bowl or put everything into the blender/processor.  Mix until completely blended.
  5. Place about a teaspoon sized (or whatever size you want-I wanted smaller cookies) drop of batter onto your cookie sheet.  Make sure you leave adequate room between each cookie so they may expand (an inch or so). 
  6. After distributing your batter onto the sheet, take the rest of your lavender and sprinkle it on top of each cookie, as evenly as you can, as a garnish/final touch.
  7. Bake for 10 minutes (check on it periodically).  The cookies will be done once they brown a little on the edges.
  8. Allow to  cool, and enjoy! Maybe with a glass of lavender lemonade(;


 




Nutritional Info (for 34 cookies)
















No comments:

Post a Comment