Monday, July 14, 2014

Lifestyle: Enjoying Alcohol and Being Healthy

A lot of my friends are turning 21 right about now, and I think that this is a great time to share some easy cocktail recipes that won't derail your healthy lifestyle.  For all of you 21 and over, this post is for you!  Again, I do not advocate underage drinking; this post is for those who are of age. 

Summertime usually includes innovative, fun, and refreshing cocktails on vacation or going out for drinks with friends!  I will give you some ideas on recipes below.




When I drink, I usually stick to wine.  The drier the better; I usually aim for a Pinot Grigio, Savignon, Prosecco, or Chardonnay.  Unfortunately, I don't enjoy red wine yet, so I do not get as many health benefits by choosing to drink white.  At least I have grown out of the phase where I liked wine with lots of sugar (Moscato, for instance *shudders*).
Otherwise, I will enjoy a shot of vodka with sparkling water and a lime or lemon wedge (squeezed) with ice. Simple and refreshing (not very creative though...).

Here are some more creative ideas:
http://www.webmd.com/diet/ss/slideshow-skinny-cocktails

Some rules when I drink: I always have a snack or dinner that includes carbs beforehand, try alternate with water (especially when I am done drinking), and pay attention to how many drinks you are having.  It can be easy to be lost in conversation and not notice that you got a refill at a restaurant. 

Life is all about balance; if you want a drink, then make it and enjoy!  If you would rather have dessert than a cocktail after dinner, then have it!  It just means that these things are special occasions, not daily habits. 

So! Remember: Enjoy a drink, have fun, and drink responsibly!  Be safe; that's the most important thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment