Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Breakfast: Baked Banana Bread Oatmeal with Coconut Peanut Butter

Lately, my go-to breakfast has been oatmeal (especially when I am planning on work outing out soon after I eat).  I used to never eat it because, let's face it, oatmeal can be REALLY boring.

It is honestly one of the best pre-workout foods.  It is a whole grain, easily digestible carb that is the perfect fuel before a long run or spin class.  I also eat it when I am not working out that day; it keeps me (most of the time) full until lunchtime, which is a very rare occurrence (I'm ALWAYS hungry).

I am obsessed with peanut butter, and banana is also one of those great pre-workout foods because it has the sugar and carbs that give you energy for a workout.  It is also easily digestible.  Again, this recipe is super easy, which is great when you wake up drowsy but hungry!

If you're short on time, make the oatmeal first thing you wake up, then place it in the oven while you get ready for your day.  By the time you're done primping, the oatmeal should be baked and ready to eat!


There are 2 variations of this recipe: 

1. Baked Banana Bread Oatmeal (with Coconut Peanut Butter)

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 dry oats (I used Quaker)
    • dash of salt 
  • 1/2 banana, mashed
  • 1 stevia packet (sub 1 teaspoon of pure cane sugar or agave/ I don't like it too overly sweet, so add more if needed!)
    • Keep in mind the banana adds sweetness on its own!
  • 1 tablespoon of Coconut Peanut Butter (Earth Balance is the brand that makes this; it is my FAVORITE and really makes the dish so delicious)
    • Sub any type of peanut butter, though! Some examples: chunky, almond, cashew, cookie, hazelnut, et cetera
    • People with allergies can use soynut butter, sunflower seed, whatever works best for you!  I have people in my family with nut allergies, so I have tried these butters and they're all delicious.



Directions:
  •  Preheat your oven to 425 degrees (or heat up your toaster oven-->what I used).
  • Cook the dry oats on your stove top with water until it reaches a thick consistency.  I don't like my oats too water-y, so I start off with 1/2 cup of water and gradually add more if I need it.  
    • Throw in that dash of salt when you start cooking them.
    • Feel free to cook the oats in anything other than water; that is just how I always do it!  Other options are nonfat milk, almond milk, soymilk, et cetera.
  • Once the oats are ready, put your oatmeal, mashed banana, and stevia in a bowl and mix them up completely.  
  • Spray a ramekin with non-stick and place your ingredients in it. 
  • Bake for 15-25 minutes, checking on the oatmeal occasionally. You will know it is done when you have a toasted crust on the top of the mixture.
  • Top with 1 tablespoon of peanut butter.
  • Enjoy!
Review:
This was the first time I have made the recipe above, and I was very pleased with the results.  It was a great way to mix up my regular oatmeal routine.  The crust was one of the best parts!  The oatmeal itself became very gooey and tasted like banana bread.  The peanut butter complimented it perfectly; I'd take peanut butter over frosting or syrup ANY day.












 2. Coconut Peanut Butter Oatmeal (for those of you who aren't banana fans/don't have souls)

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup of dry oats
    • dash of salt
  • 1 tablespoon of PB2 (powdered peanut butter)
  • 1 packet of stevia (or any other sweetener of choice)
  • 1 tablespoon of Earth Balance Coconut Peanut Butter
 Directions:
  • Cook the dry oats on your stove top with water until it reaches a thick consistency.  I don't like my oats too water-y, so I start off with 1/2 cup of water and gradually add more if I need it.  
    • Throw in that dash of salt when you start cooking them.
    • Feel free to cook the oats in anything other than water; that is just how I always do it!  Other options are nonfat milk, almond milk, soymilk, et cetera. 
  • Place your cooked oats in a bowl.  Mix in the tablespoon of PB2 and sweetener.
    • The reason I use the powdered is because it mixes well and gives the oatmeal an overall peanut butter-y base in terms of taste.
  • Top with 1 tablespoon of peanut butter(: 

 Substitutions/Variations:
-any type of nut butter
-milk instead of a water base
-top with Greek yogurt
-sub applesauce with mashed banana
-nuts, berries, coconut flakes, cinnamon, sliced banana, cacao nibs, maple syrup, agave, dark chocolate, jams (no added sugar--don't use "sugar free" because they'll usually add artificial sweeteners like aspartame)
-My Favorite Variation: 1/2 tablespoon of peanut butter, 1 tablespoon of pb2, 1/2 tbs strawberry jam, and1/4 cup of raspberries (can you say pb&j oatmeal???<3)
-->Whatever you make your oatmeal with, make sure you get creative and be careful of portion sizes! It can be easy to drown foods in things like syrup or agave. 

No comments:

Post a Comment