Monday, June 9, 2014

Mix Up Your Cardio

Although I teach and LOVE spin, I still like to mix up my exercise throughout the week. Doing the same thing over and over again can create workout boredom (and, let's be real, in this weather that is pretty common).

Suggestions:
Try a new exercise class you never considered before or give a workout you were "iffy" on a second chance (you may be surprised!). Even a new instructor or class variation may get you hooked after all.

Exercise/Classes/Workouts I Enjoy:

  • Spinning --> (suprise, surprise???) I always get the cardio I am looking for in spin. I like that you can edit this workout to fit your personal goals and fitness level. You can choose one that focuses scuplting, or pick one that varies in time (i.e. 30, 45, 55, 60, or 60/90 minutes).
  • RUNNING --> I used to tolerate it. I grew to love it over time. Nothing can compare to the feeling you get after accomplishing a challenging run. It is truly the perfect way to clear your head.
  • Weight Training --> try a muscle class (Muscle Work, Quick Crunch, TRX, etc), any weights class, or lift on your own/with a friend. I always wrote it off and realized the benefits of strength training once I got into it. 
  • Kickboxing--> This is a great way to incorporate both strength and cardio into your workout routine.  It can be low or high impact, and a lot of interval training is involved.  There are some great studios out there, like Title, so definitely check them out!
  • Zumba --> I personally love Zumba. I'm not the best dancer, but I love to do it anyway. This is the best opportunity to dance and exercise with people who have that in common with you. The music is always fun too. Some are turned off by feeling clumsy when first learning the dance moves, but, I PROMISE, after going to a few classes, you'll be enjoying it and following effortlessly in no time. There are even fun variations (like WERQ), to mix things up.
  • Yoga --> There is a yoga class for whatever you are looking for: some focus on strength, sculpting, relaxation, flexibility, and so on. You just have to shop around!



That is only to name a few. I didn't want to make this list even longer than it is.  Check out your local gym; they usually have great options to pick and choose from.  Do your research, and be adventurous! 

No comments:

Post a Comment