Thursday, June 26, 2014

Fitness: Staying Safe in the Heat

Hello, all! Sorry for the infrequent posting. Being on vacation has led me to fall off the grid a little (something I'm quite enjoying), but I will make sure to try to post every other day. Being somewhere new has given me lots or ideas and inspiration on what to write about (with fitness and especially food), so stay tuned(:



I have refused to allow 90+ degree heat to get in the way of my marathon training. Luckily, this is my fallback week, but I still must keep up with the team I am on. So far, it has been mostly smooth sailing. I've enjoyed the runs I've squeezed in despite being hot and humid. My running buddy has been a trooper; he is starting his half marathon training, and this has definitely not been ideal weather to begin a plan. I advised him to do what he could, but maybe begin a serious training plan when vacation is over.  We do not have access to a gym right now (we will in a few days), so outdoor running has been the only option for training right now. 



Before you head out the door, do not forget these things: 
-sunscreen! 
Make sure its 30 SPF and water resistant. Apply before you leave and allow some time to soak in before you start sweating (about 15 minutes).
-water! The more you sweat, the more you need to rehydrate. Bring it with you! Even a small 8 ounce bottle is better than nothing.
-fuel (if over 60 minutes) like Gus, chomps, sports beans, gels, trail mix, whatever you are used to using. Also, having adequate fuel in your stomach pre-workout is a must. Don't let your blood sugar drop by skimping on meals or snacks. Working out on an empty stomach in an air conditioned gym is hard enough; factor in the heat, and that is a recipe for disaster. I would also allow enough time for digestion so you do not get an upset stomach/cramping. 
-ID, wallet, cell phone, or map (especially in an unfamiliar place). Have a route planned and have emergency contacts available. 
-appropriate clothing. Make sure your clothing is light and breathable. Being sunglasses, visors, hats, whatever you need. 


If you feel the need to stop and cool down, DO IT. Realize heat is a huge factor in the intensity of a workout, so do not ignore your body's warning signs. Heat stroke is dangerous. No workout is worth harming your body. So, be safe and listen to your body! 

Anyways, I'm about to leave for a surfing lesson (look at my post about staying fit on vacay--this is my cross training!). I'll be sure to post about this experience! Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment