Friday, June 13, 2014

Eating Out/Adventures in Running


 Even a severe lack of sleep would never keep me from running on a gorgeous day like today.  I knew it would be my last run before I moved back home to the suburbs for the summer (on and off) for a little while on the Lake Shore.

There's something so different about running along Lake Shore than any other running venue.  It is one of the best running paths I know of; especially when I am used to running in circles in neighborhoods or desperately making my rounds on tracks back at home.  I find that my mind is clear, I appreciate the world around me, and I also get to people watch (Bonus?)

I woke up, had a bowl of baked banana bread oatmeal with the coconut peanut butter (of course), wrote today's themed spin class, which would be the last one at the Ray for the summer, and headed out the door.  Being out late always does this to me; my body refuses to let me sleep (or sleep in for that matter).  


I had no goals for this run.  This one was for me.  I went six miles and enjoyed every second of it.

Then, I cooled down and grabbed a venti iced americano (lack of sleep, remember?) from Starbucks.  The extra espresso was much needed.  Then, I ran errands, and I decided to treat myself at my favorite restaurant that I wouldn't be able to get in the 'burbs: Native Foods.


  

Native Foods is a vegan food chain that rocks my socks.  As many of you probably know, vegans don't eat any products made from animals (meat, dairy, none of that stuff).  Yet, their food is fantastic!  Plenty of non-vegans and even vegetarians enjoy it.  My friends love it as well; we go there all the time.

I felt funny eating there alone; I'm not sure why.  Now that I look back on it, that was lame.  Nonetheless, I ordered my food for pick-up.

I had the usual, the Oklahoma Bacon Cheeseburger which consists of a whole grain bun, seitan, "native cheese" or cheese made from nuts and seeds, tofu bacon, carmelized onions, lettuce, carrots, tomatoes, and fried pickles.  I asked for regular pickles and for them to leave off the sauces (ranch and barbeque-->the cheese and bacon provide more than enough flavor for me). They accidently gave me a free order of fries, which I gladly accepted.  I gave them to my roommate (because I planned on getting dessert/he LOVES their fries).  

 



Their desserts are phenomenal as well.   I have a favorite: the peanut butter parfait.  It consists of vegan chocolate chips, whole grain banana bread crumbles (with almonds, coconut shavings, yummm), and the peanut butter "mousse" (made with agave, tofu, and vegan cream cheese-->I have a homemade recipe for this mousse that I will share sometime on this blog).  Being the pb fiend that I am, this is one of my all-time favorite desserts.  They have everything from cakes to cupcakes to brownies to oatmeal cream pies.  I've tried almost all of them; they are all delicious.

 I figured since I wouldn't be visiting Native for awhile, I had to get my favorite dessert as well as my favorite sandwich.  After I finished my lunch at home, I finished packing and headed to my last spin class of the quarter.  The theme was my favorites/personal pump-up songs.  The playlist will be on my spinning page on facebook; don't worry(:

Now, I'm home in the suburbs enjoying the company of my family and puppies.  I hope you guys had a fabulous Friday as well!



One of the best parts about being home is being with your babies.
This is Roxy; isn't she a doll? Look at that smile.

 
Meet Charlie.  He's a sassy diva.



No comments:

Post a Comment