Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Fitness: Posture, Form, and Patience is Everything!

Lately, I have noticed a lot of people foregoing their posture and form during workouts.   Whether I am people watching while working out at the gym, running by the lake, or teaching my spin class, this has been something I have been noticing the last few weeks.

I graduated physical therapy at Novacare today, which forced me to reflect a little bit about how far I have come since then in my fitness journey.  I feel that, through my multiple injuries since I started in October (tendonitis in the foot, IT band, hip problems, and knee pain), I have learned how to become a better athelete by focusing on my form and improving it as I continue to exercise.  I never thought of form as a big deal, but Novacare changed my opinion of this completely.  Finishing a workout is no longer my goal; it is now finishing it effectively.  I now realize how much I value good form, and I stress it with my students.  It will eventually help you avoid injury and give you a much more effective workout.

Here are a few tips I have for you all organized by the type of workout or machine you are using:

Running:
  • Try to run engaging your core.   It will help straighten your back and keeps you from hunching when you become fatigued.
  • Don't become overly reliant on your quads.  Many of my injuries came from this.  One way to fix this habit is by focusing on glutes during strength training in addition to doing things like running as if you are trying to kick dust behind you. 
  • Try to increase your cadence.  Interval runs are great ways to do this.  It will create less impact on your joints.  I found that my posture improves when I run at a faster pace.
    • Try running at your normal pace for 3 minutes and increasing your speed for 1 minute throughout your run.  This will condition you to, eventually, run faster.  Make this a goal for one of your shorter/training runs.
Spinning/Cycling (Form is very important in cycling, although it is one of the activities I find form is forgotten about the most.)
  • Pedal with your heels, not your toes.  I repeat this over and over in my cycling class.  I learned the hard with with Charlie Horses that you cannot become lazy in this area if you absolutely despise that cramping sensation.  
  • Keep a straight back; don't hunch!  Otherwise, you will strain your lower back.
  • Try to elongate your neck throughout the ride.  Eyes straight ahead; don't stare at the ground (no matter how much you're trying not to focus on those intervals or heavy gear!) It will keep you from straining your neck and shoulders. 
  • Maintain a stable upper body by engaging your core.  This will also help you with good posture as well.  Might as well get an ab workout during your cardio for the day, right?

Weights/Strength Training:
  • Keep perfect posture!  Do not hunch or forget about your core, whether you are doing squats or lifting weights.  Just because you are not focusing on your core doesn't mean it is not important during that exercise.  You risk injury when you do not keep your posture in check.
  • Plant your feet correctly on the ground as a stable base for lifting or strength training.
  • Take your time.  Although you may want to finish your workout and get it over with, you risk injury.  Do not lift those handweights or bar too quickly; don't speed through those lunges.  You're feeling the burn for a reason. Embrace it! You'll enjoy your recovery time so much more.


General Guidelines for Cardio Machines (i.e. Stairmaster, Elliptical, Bike, et cetera):
  • Do not become overly reliant on handlebars; they are for balance!  This is a sign of lack of core engagement.  It is also preventing you from getting an optimal lower body workout. 
    • The only time I would advocate this is to prevent injury.  For example, if you have been having hip trouble and want to do the elliptical, using your upper body by pushing on the bars is a great way to create less impact on your hips.
  • Keep good posture, and avoid hunching over.  You will strain your back and neck and possibly injury yourself, as mentioned previously.
  • Overall tip: be aware.  Although it may be relaxing or easier for you to zone out during a workout, don't let it get to the point of risking injury.  It's not worth being out of commission.  The time during healing drags, I'll be the first to tell you!

If there is a specific workout or machine you have questions about or that I did not cover in terms of posture/form or just inquiries in general, comment below! I'd be more than happy to answer your questions(:



No comments:

Post a Comment