Sunday, June 22, 2014

Eating Out: The Airport

Sorry for the delay in yesterday's post! I've been traveling with my family, which is what today's post will (partially) be about. I think that traveling can make it very easy to disregard your healthy lifestyle. Fast food is usually the only option when you fly or airplane food (yikes) as well as relying on the snacks available at the airport.

To be honest, just do what you can to make good choices. Your options are limited, so try to balance and pick good things to eat. Don't stress yourself out or fast because you do not want to derail from your healthy lifestyle.

Remember these things:

  • be creative and make whatever good choices you can (pack backup snacks or look for kiosks that sell healthier options) 
  • If you're already making mostly good choices, you have room to splurge or make food exceptions (One meal won't make you "fat" and just like one meal won't make you healthy.)
  • fasting is not an option. Your body needs energy. You can always make up for it by going back to your regular eating. (Eat clean the next day, work out like you do normally, go for a walk later, etc)

Snack ideas (here are some things you can either pack for the plane or buy at the airport):
  • Granola bars
  • Protein bars
  • Dried fruit
  • Trail mix
  • Snack boxes (some airports sell these with hummus and veggies, fruit and yogurt, cheese, nuts, crackers, hard boiled eggs)
  • Crackers (wheat thins, sun chips, etc)
  • Whole grain cereal
  • Yogurt (Greek is best)
  • Peanut butter or almond butter packets for spreading on crackers or fruit
  • If only candy is available (or you just want candy because a treat would be nice on the plane), try the kinds with a bit of nutritional value. Candy that has nuts is a great example (ie. peanut m&m's, chocolate bars with almonds, dark chocolate almonds, trail mix that includes a few pieces of candy, chocolate chips, or dried fruit, or dark chocolate --this has antioxidants!)
Again, most of these things can be found at the airport or you can try to bring them with you. It is usually easier or cheaper to bring snacks. This is also a good idea when you have food allergies because some planes do give out snacks but they can be processed in a nut factory or nothing gluten free may be available. It never hurts to plan ahead.
Most importantly, buy a bottle of water or two to stay hydrated. I brought two large bottles because I knew that the small cup they give me on the plane wouldn't meet my needs. Traveling can dehydrate you; this is an important thing to keep in mind.

When I traveled and spent time at he airport and plane, I brought granola bars and protein bars. I didn't do too much preparation. I planned on buying a few things at the airport as well.

I had to eat/buy breakfast and bring a lunch on board, so my mother and I chose starbucks because they had portable foods and decent choices. Here is what I had as I traveled around yesterday. 
Breakfast: blueberry and nut steel cut oatmeal and a small blonde roast coffee (I used half the dried blueberries because they gave you a LOT, the entire nut packet, omitted the brown sugar, added truvia and a dash of cinnamon)
Mid-Morning snack: cliff kids protein z-bar and a tall americano (iced)
Lunch: southwest chickpea salad, raw veggies from a starbucks snack tray, half a fruit salad cup, one serving of cheddar sun chips, chocolate chip cookie dough quest bar, lots of water!!

I have to eat a lot when I am in training, so making sure I have a lot of snacks was important! I hope this helps give you ideas. Again, do the best with what you have and don't stress out when traveling. You're going on vacation so relax, and enjoy your flight(:

No comments:

Post a Comment