Thursday, June 19, 2014

My Marathon Journey: 12 Mile Long Run (with Prep Tips!)

Today, I had a long run of 12 miles scheduled.  This has been my longest one yet, aside from two half marathon races.  Before that (in terms of training), I have only reached 11 miles at my farthest.  You would assume I would be confident I could finish twelve after completing two races measuring 13.1 miles, but training is different than racing.  When you race, you are surrounded by fellow runners and push through each mile with adrenaline, nervousness, and excitement as part of your fuel (along with free GU's, Cliff's, Chomps, bananas, and Gatorade at designated stations).

When you train, you are (usually) by yourself and can easily get lost in your own head.  I psyche myself out a lot of the time.  Fortunately, I bring my Spotify or IPod along for the ride, but that can only distract me for so long. 

Long run days are very important.  You must fuel and gear up correctly, as I have learned from personal experience.  The more you prepare, the less worries you have during your run.

Pre-Run Checklist:

Gear
  • Make sure you have comfortable clothing that you trust during this run.  I have made some mistakes in the past (like sports bras that chaff and eventually cut you--not my favorite first long run memory), and so I make sure to wear my best running clothes and save the average ones for shorter runs.  
    • Comfy tank or shirt
    • dress for the weather
    •  shorts or leggings that won't ride up or fall down
      • Basically, clothes you have worn for shorter runs before and trust. 
    • Running socks (there are some special ones that prevent blistering or too much rubbing)
    • Sunglasses (comfortable and preferably ones you wouldn't mind losing or throwing away)
I got a little crazy with the prints.  Here is my outfit as well as belt (minus one water bottle--I just needed one)

  • Running Belt
    • Make sure it is comfortable and holds everything you need 
      • i.e. id, keys, chomps/gu's, water bottles, IPod
    • I have FINALLY found my perfect running belt.   Mine velcros to my hips and stays in place perfectly.  It held the right amount of Gu's and chomps and comes with 2 small water bottles.
      • Some people like the ones that fall on their hips (personally, those have cut me during runs), some like shorts with lots of pockets (I've had good experiences), and some like the type that strap to your hand and hold your water. 
  •  Fuel (for runs that last longer than 60 min)
  • Flavors: Blueberry Pomegranate (Right) and Chocolate Outrage (Left) --yum!
    • Gu's 
    • Chomps
    • Cliff Shots
    •  Cliff Energy Blocks
    • Sports beans
  • Water/Water bottles
    • You must rehydrate every 45 minutes at least, maybe sooner on a hot day (hello, summer!)
  • Braces (knee, ankle, etc), Athletic Tape, Compression socks, etc (make sure to put these on if needed!) 

  • Inhaler
    • Fellow asthmatics, holla at me! 
      • It's important to have it, just in case.  You never know when you may need it! It should comfortablely rest in a pocket or running belt, no problem. 
  • Sunscreen
    • I figured it would be a cloudy day since rain was predicted today, and I was so wrong.  I'm sporting a nice shade of pink as I write this.
      • Use SPF 15 or 30 at least!  Sports sunscreen or water resistant is ideal.
  • SHOES
  • My shoes are Brooks Adrenaline.  My socks never match.
      All taped up and ready to run!
    • These are your most important item! These should be the ones you designate for long runs or running in general(:










 Fuel:

I will eventually post about pre-run fuel in this blog, but, for now, I will just tell you what I had before my run today (I left around 11A.M., so my breakfast was my main source). 

Also, as mentioned previously in this post, Gu's, Chomps, sports beans, and so on are important to bring with you on your run (if it fits into the appropriate time frame).  In the future, I want to post about my favorite long run fuel brands as well.

Today's Breakfast:
  • Whole wheat English muffin (toasted) with peanut butter, no added sugar strawberry jelly, and half a sliced medium banana -->This provided me with the adequate carbohydrate and protein ratio needed pre-run.  I chose all of these foods because they are wholesome, easily digestible carbohydrates as well.  
  • Dorky Game Face
    • I ate the other half the banana while I was running out the door.  Bananas are the best running food!
  • I also had coffee with my breakfast.  
    • This is a breakfast choice that I will tell you to consume with caution.  It may bother your stomach or speed up your digestive system, which is not ideal for a long run.  Either skip it or have a pit stop plan just in case if you need your coffee.  Again, it may not bother you; it just depends on the person.  
      • Tip: Some literature has said that iced coffee rather than hot will lessen this effect on your digestion.  Worth a try, right?

Post-Run Checklist:
  • WATER!
  • Stretch
    • It's tempting to lie down or skip a stretch due to fatigue, but, trust me, your body needs it!  Do not skip stretching!
  • Fuel
    • Make sure you are adequately refueling when your stomach is ready.  You want an adequate amount of carbs and protein after a workout (and especially after a long run).
      • Optimal Refuel Time Window: 30-60 minutes after a workout
  • Shower, please.  

After my 12 miler was completed, I cooled down, stretched, chugged water, ate lunch, and hopped in the shower.  

My Post-Run Fuel:
Sandwich, Pickle, Coconut La Croix, and (not shown because I ate them) Kale chips
My mother was kind enough to call me in the middle of my run (Great timing, actually.  I needed some motivation).   She ordered me Jimmy Johns.  I got the Beach Club on their Multigrain Bread with no cheese, no mayo, no tomatoes, extra avocado, onion, oregano, and extra cucumber.  And a giant pickle, of course.  So, basically, I will run...for sandwiches.
-->Carbs from the whole grain bread, protein from the turkey=check!




Finished!
That's one hot tan line, right?



Happy Running!
















 

No comments:

Post a Comment